Breast Cancer Awareness Jewelry...a Headstart for October and Ever Wonder Why the Pink Ribbon?


***FOR SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER*** 10% OF SALES ON ALL PINK JEWELRY WILL BE DONATED TO SUSAN G KOMEN FOR THE CURE FOUNDATION **** (any jewelry that is pink, has pink or has rose gold used is considered part of the awareness jewelry)


I know its early but I found these sweet litte beads and had to share!  As many of you know I had been working on my "Chemo Bracelets" but got a bit side tracked.... :-)  a common thing for any artist! So continue please to stay tuned...Im working on those...


....so yes as I was saying...October is the annual international Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) (also referred to as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM)) to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure.


But have you ever wondered "Why the Pink Ribbon?"  I know I have so I did a little googling :) Heres what I found...


That the " Pink Ribbon was introduced during the Komen Race for The Cure in 1991" says the site http://www.pinkribbon.org/  it goes on to say that..."


"The first chapter in the history of Pink Ribbon as a symbol for breast cancer awareness can be found at the Komen Foundation's Race for The Cure, on the 16th of June 1990. At this race, held in Washington DC, the Komen Foundation handed out pink visors randomly to the 8,529 walkers. Some participants wore Pink Ribbons. A year later,in 1991, Komen distributed pink ribbons to every participant in it's New York City Race For The Cure. As from this year, the pink ribbon became the symbol for breast cancer awareness."


So there you have it!  The story of the Pink Ribbon ....annually in October its a good reminder and a symbol for women to be breast aware for early detection.


During Breast Cancer Awareness Month each October, people raise money by organizing activities such as theme parties[] or a "pink day" (when employees wear pink clothing or accessories) at work. The money raised is donated to the organizers' choice of breast cancer care or research programs


So here is some ribbon jewelry as well as some "pinks"....some of which I made at the doctors office while my mom was receiving her chemo treatments...as many of you know that supporting someone going through chemo or if you  are going through such treatment yourself....it takes lots of time!  But so worth the time.....(see blog article "Brass Jewelry, Chemo Jewelry" for the full story :)


I have had many in my family battle cancer from grandparents to cousins, aunts and uncles...both my grandmothers...one survived, one did not...both with colon cancer.  I also lost an uncle in his 40's to cancer.  This year it just seem to come so much closer to home...


I was never "face to face" with it...never sat in a doctors office to hear a prognosis...never saw someone being given chemo...it was only something I saw in the movies.  So now I have a whole new appreciation and respect for the doctors and nurses who really show genuine concern....and for the patients themselves who continue to stay strong...


During those doctor visits I see so many patients coming and going...some really seem to be struggling, like walking into that office takes every bit of their energy...but for good cause...no one wants to lose the battle...we are made with a desire to "keep on fighting"....


So my respects go out to all you readers who have gone through this fight yourself  or are enduring it right now or supporting someone...a family member or friend....or for those who hold tight to memories of  their lost dear ones .....


Thank you for reading .....keep smiling and keep hopefull.....  :)

Comments

Popular Posts