Using Earth Tones To Create Some Hygge In Your Home

 


Handblown Retro Glass Partridge Bird, Kauni Dansk Design

When it is raining and cold outside in the wintertime here in Denmark, it is the perfect time to spend doing some cozy room decor.  Why not bring a little of the outdoors in?  The perfect way to do so is by using earth tones to cozy up your space.  
 
What are earth tones?  Well, think earth, soil, leaves, cloudy skies or a deep terracotta sunset.  Rich browns, rusts, marigolds, deep indigo blues or rustic turmeric along side honeycomb yellow, forest greens and sage.  These colors are warm and inviting.  Doesn't that make you want to curl up on the sofa with a warm cup of coffee right now?!  Now that is a good way to hygge up your environment.  Long winters can make you long for the outdoors, a walk in the forest or sitting by the sea to watch a sunset.  So our living space needs to bring us joy, comfort and a feeling of coziness...and earth tones are a way to go!

Scandinavian Teak Pig Salt & Pepper Shakers

How about some animals?  Glass birds or wooden pigs like the ones above are a sure way to bring a smile to your face.  I know my home is full of little ceramic and wood birds and my favorite porcelain seals!  I love to not commit to one particular style in my home.  I love to have an eclectic variety around me of things we have collected as the years have gone by, then when friends come over these pieces become conversation pieces.  I just love that!  And I love decor that makes me smile and warms my heart.  I think that's why I love the Danish word Hygge, because the feeling of warmth and joy and heartwarming come up into my mind when I think on that sweet word.

Vintage Holmegaard Per Lutken Designs
Also glass items placed around the home offer a sense of light and airy which also helps create a bit of a calming effect. Reflecting natural light where ever we can around the home in winter is a must!  I l love blue glass.  It is all around my home.  I come from California where I lived on the cliffs in Shell Beach overlooking the deep blue sea, so it calms me to see blue glass everywhere!  Vintage Holmegaard is one of my favorites blue and aqua.  Etsy is a great source to find a wide range of it.

Retro fused glass plate
Oh and I almost forgot!  One of the most important and the easiet way to add a deep variety of green to your home is PLANTS!  Yesterday we had guests over and my friend scanned the downstairs then looked at me and said "I don't think there is a corner in this house that does not have a plant in it!"  Haha! Yes.....I am a plant lover....or maybe it's more of an obsession!  At least my husband may think so! 😊 So don't forget the plants! And why not find some wooden mushrooms to put along side them in the planter? It's all the rage right now!!! It's good for cleaning the air too, well, the plants are not the wooden mushrooms! 


Retro fused glass plate
Pinterest also has great home inspiration ideas.  So why not get some motivation scrolling through Pinterest and Etsy and try adding some beautiful rich earth tones.  Add some terracotta, pottery, wood and glass and see if it doesn't make you feel warm and cozy inside. Etsy forecasts that blue & yellow are hot for 2023! We all need smiles and joy from our day to day life....so get started NOW!  Well first...grab your favorite mug and have a cup of tea....look out the window and get inspired with EARTH TONES!



Vintage Yixing Chinese Clay Teapot

Keep smiling!  💗




Comments

Popular Posts