Breaking All The Rules, Upcycling Vintage Clothing

Vintage velvet coat turned into pants
 
Well, Coco Chanel did it so why can't I??  These thoughts racing through my head as a stare at this lovely draping, supple velvet coat adorning my mannequin.  When Lynda Flynn said, "Oh I would just love it if you could turn my velvet coat into bloomers"  I took one look at the princess seams and flared bottom and said "Hmmm I don't think so!"

the process
 
For one, I spent 9 years on the design team for the Bay Area Showcase Chorus as their sole seamstress.  I thought after making over 150 blouses out of velvet for one of their costumes, my velvet days were over forever!!!  I never wanted to touch the fabric again!  But when someone looks at you with designing and dreams going on in their eyes....it's just too hard to say NO! 
 
I'm not going to lie....there were moments I wanted to throw the coat out the window! (sorry Lynda :) But as you can see "the process" above, that didn't happen.  So, back to breaking rules....as a dressmaker you are well acquainted with the rules of "the grain".  So as I am trying to work around all these princess seams I could just hear my instructors and mentor from the past like Kenneth King,  cringing and "huhhhhing"  as I completely go against the grain!!  Then to top it off I hear lyrics of a song in the background saying "when everythings meant to be broken" !!  Haha!  my sewing conscience bothering me :)   

not your average way to wear a dress...
 
So, Coco....I loved watching the movie of her life story and how she changed fashion forever....she broke the rules of fashion in her time and made new rules, remnants that influence style for women today.  Sometimes you just have to think outside of the box.  Upcycling is all the rage today.  So why not try it??   Go ahead break some rules!  Have something that was once a favorite but now seems out of date or your friends got tired of you wearing it???  Take it and upcycle it.  Use parts of it to make a blanket, pillow, table runner....turn an old ruffled skirt into a handbag! whatever you want....the options are endless.  Go ahead!! Break some rules! I'm giving you permission!  and have fun doing it!  :)  send me a pix!
 
 
or average way to wear a skirt and top!
 
Keep smiling!  Keep creating!!  Have a beautiful day!!!
 
Renee
of
SomethingSeaBlue

Comments

Popular Posts