What is An Artisan or Artist Anyways???

I have always wondered the meaning of this.. always admiring the creative person when I was growing up, always wishing to be creative like them...it never occured to me that in many ways a seamstress or person who enjoys sewing is,  in their own way an artist. I never connected the two.  Then I happened upon the perfect definition of a seamstress in the Vogue Sewing book of all places...and here is the comparison that was made. In a way, it was my beginnings of believing that I had become what I always admired in others...it defined what I had been doing all along and perhaps it will define you as well...

In a nutshell here is what was compared....

Fashion sewing can be compared in some ways to the classic art of sculpture.  The sculptor is involved with the medium-manipulating clay or carving stone into a form...sewing demands the same involvement with a medium.  Working with fabric that will be molded and shaped into a 3 dimensional design.  The creative forces necessary are no less important than those required to chip marble or mold clay.  Inspiration as both artists know comes only after attaining a good working knowledge.

A person who sews is a creative artist because she individualizes fashion to her own special preference and requirements.

She is more than just a seamstress, she is an artisan....


So enjoy this creative process...be inspired by everything around you, carry your camera always and don't be afraid to snap at random images, birds, flowers, sunsets, driftwood, whatever it is that gets those wheels turning, collect things that make you smile...surround yourself by beautiful things that inspire you...and become the artisan that you were always meant to be....

Comments

Popular Posts