Inspired By "The Pipe", Jewelry Inspired by the Banzai Pipeline

 
I know... it's kind of funny the things that inspire us to create.  Inspired by the Pipe you say??  Indeed!  Just take a look at the Malibu Dream above...can't you see it???  Colors of the waves...the curve on the agate...where the ocean meets the reef...come on use your imagination!! :)

Billabong Pipeline Masters 12/14/13 --Live Webcast
 
Even though not a surfer myself...I've always been obsessed with the sport.  Love love love to watch...especially big wave surfing, that's my favorite.  Probably a result of living under 20 miles from Mavericks in Half Moon Bay.

Almost done...
 
So yes, I am an avid follower of the ASP, Vans Triple Crown, Mavericks Invitational, Big Wave World Tour etc etc... thanks to Surfline's Webcams !!!
 

 
Okay, back to the Saturday of Billabong Pipemasters.....about 1/2 hour before the comp started...all of a sudden I took one look over at my sea glass....hmmmm......then another look at my stash of beads...hmmmmm   and then one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had piles of blue's, greens, turquoises etc.   At first  I had no intention of making jewelry while watching but once those creative juices start flowing, its almost impossible to rest until you follow through.

 
I think that was one of the most satisfying competitions to watch.  All the hype on the beach that day was so inspiring.  The thrill, the high, the sound of the crowds....and before I knew it my fingers were so sore from wire wrapping!
 
Next year it's my goal to be there in those crowds!  My dad lives on island...so yes, why wasn't I there!!???   So if you didn't get a chance to watch you probably heard....

 
Kelly Slater wins the event, Mick Fanning the world title and young John John Florence the Triple Crown.

 
Kelly surfed flawlessly as always, made all the right decisions that day...Mick's heats were historic and cute little John John ...got spit out of a Pipe barrel and proceeded to stick a tail throw reverse.  Loved it!!

 
A few days before the comp. I watched an interview with Kelly Slater from 10 years ago.  When asked where he wanted to be in 10 years?  He looked over at the then 10 year old blondie JJF walking with his surf board on the beach and Kelly said he wanted to be surfing the Pipe against that kid.
Moment I was waiting for Slater vs John John!
 
So yes this was the moment I was waiting for all week!!!  And what a finish it was!  With lots of new creations to prove it :)   My "Inspired By the Pipe" Collection  was an inspiring day for me.  Putting two of my loves together .  The waves and the art of expression, for me in this case....jewelry. 
 
So what inspires you to create??  For some it can be as simple as a beautiful smile...a pair of laughing eyes...the morning sunrise or the amazing colors of the sunset....whatever it is, let yourself get lost in inspiration every once in a while.  You just may be surprised :)
 
Have a beautiful day and don't forget to smile :)
 
Renee of
SomethingSeaBlue
 

Comments

Popular Posts